Monthly Archives: January 2020
Monday, 6 January is the feast of the Epiphany of the Lord (Little Christmas Day).
It is a Holy Day of obligation.
In Radharc na nOileán pastoral area we will have the following Mass schedule:
- St Mary’s Church, Cranny at 9.30am;
- Church of Christ the King, Ballycorick at 9.30am;
- St Kieran’s Church, Labasheeda at 9.30am;
- St Michael’s Church, Kildysart at 11am;
- St Mary’s Church, Kilmurry McMahon at 11am;
- St Benedict’s Church, Coolmeen on Saturday at 7pm;
- Vigil Mass (Friday, 5 January) Our Lady of the Wayside, Lissycasey at 7.30pm.
The Feast of the Epiphany (the word means “manifestation”) celebrates the making known of God the Son as a human being in Jesus Christ. The feast commemorates the visit of the Three Kings (the Magi) to the Baby Jesus and the revelation Jesus’ birth beyond the Jewish world. The Kings brought gifts of gold (for a king), frankincense (for worship) and myrrh (for embalming, since Christ was to die for us). In Italy and other countries children receive gifts on this day.
Traditionally in Ireland, the day was known as ‘Nollaig na mBan’ as it was the day when women celebrated Christmas.